After seeing an exhibition at the Royal Academy of Arts recently I noticed that large paintings were often given a rather rustic homemade frame by literally attaching batons of either varnished or painted wood to the sides. Often there was no mitred corners, it was just all very basic and actually looked fantastic. I decided it was time to start framing my own paintings.
Here's my first effort, really pleased with it. I attached a thinner black frame first then went over the top with a wider frame which created the 'Tray' or 'Floating' frame effect. This painting sold at my last open studio day and the buyer kindly sent me this lovely photo of it in situ. It's called Reverie Levels.